Sunday, May 8, 2011

Ugly Bean Dip

I want to share a recipe that my best friend shared with me. I have been sharing it with people for the last few years and get requests for the recipe every time I make it. So here it is! It makes a large portion and is quite a bit of work, but it is so delicious and good for you!

Thanks Nikki for the picture of this glorious mess.


Estimated Nutrition Facts: Serving Size 1/4 Cup

70 calories                         2 grams protein
12 grams Carbs                 2.55 grams fiber
1.4 grams fat                     280 mg sodium

This is made in two parts. I used to make the "dressing" the night before to chill over night then make the rest the next day. HOWEVER, lately I have started making the dressing and tossing it in the fridge to chill while I prepare the veggies and beans. This works just as well.



The Dressing
1 cup Hidden Valley Ranch dressing (reduced fat or fat free)
½ cup creamy Italian dressing (fat free)
1 tsp chili powder
1 tsp pepper
1 ½ tsp Tabasco
1 tsp garlic powder
4 tsp fresh cilantro (chopped)


The Ugly Stuff
1 cup green pepper (chopped) [About 1 1/2 peppers]
1 cup red onion (chopped)
2 jalapenos, diced (Best if seeds are removed)
2 cans black beans (rinsed and drained)
2 cans shoe peg corn (drained)
2 plum or roma tomatoes, (diced & remove seeds)


If you have a food processor, your time will be cut in half for this part. Ours bit the dust so I chop it all by hand now. It's grand fun. Watch out for those peppers!

I will not lie. The final product doesn't exactly look delicious, but it is fantastic! 


Thanks to Manda for sharing this with me and Nikki for letting me yoink her picture.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to know your opinions, tips and input!